Audio-Technica AT2040 Hypercardioid Dynamic Podcast Microphone
Audio-Technica AT2040 Overview
Purpose-built for podcasters and content creators on a limited budget, the Audio-Technica AT2040 Hypercardioid Dynamic Microphone benefits from A-T's decades of expertise in constructing trusted microphones for the studio and stage. The AT2040 features a large-diaphragm dynamic capsule in a classic end-address configuration, just like traditional broadcast-style mics used by pros. Not only does the mic deliver a warm, yet robust vocal tone, but it also picks up minimal background noise and room reflections, thanks to its hypercardioid polar pattern.
By incorporating an internal multistage pop filter, the AT2040 is able to reduce vocal plosives—popping sounds from strong consonants such as 'p' and 'b'—without relying on an external pop screen. Additionally, the integrated shockmount helps prevent noise from stand handling and other vibrations while keep the overall size down. Due to its XLR 3-pin output connector and low sensitivity, the AT2040 should be used with a mic preamp that can provide moderate to high gain. Being a dynamic mic, it requires no batteries or phantom power.
Internal Pop Filter
Highly Directional Pickup
Features at a Glance
- Dynamic microphone delivers warm, assertive broadcast sound that’s perfect for podcasting
- Large diaphragm for smooth, natural sound and low noise
- Multistage foam mesh windscreen provides superior internal pop filtering
- Integrated shockmount attenuates noise, shock, and vibration transmitted through mic stands, booms, and mounts
- Hypercardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear for maximum vocal isolation
- XLR 3-pin male output connector
- No batteries or phantom power required
- Includes pivoting stand mount, 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 threaded adapter, and a soft protective pouch