Rane MP2015 4-channel Rotary Mixer
The MP2015 from Rane is a high-performance rotary-style DJ mixer aimed at house & techno DJs and designed for high-end audio systems. This music-mixing performance instrument offers mastering-quality converters, studio-quality phono-preamps, S/PDIF connections for connecting CDJ digital media players, and a professional-quality microphone pre-amp with selectable +48V phantom power.
Each channel offers a 3-band, full-cut EQ with selectable crossover points and a resonant sweep-filter with selections for low-pass, high-pass, and low & high-pass filter types. The Isolator EQ section is a master-bus 24 dB / octave (4th order) phase compensated Linkwitz-Riley design with continuously variable low-mid-high crossover points. All the EQ, filer, and tone controls are accurate, high resolution, fast, and artifact free, with all filter coefficients accurately calculated for the selected sample rates.
The MP2015 also features a submix channel, which combines 1 to 4 channels plus session input into a submix with a dedicated EQ, filter, and volume controls. This function allows DJs to combine and process multiple tracks with single knob controls, instead of juggling multiple knobs and buttons. Additionally, the submix can be used as a 5th input channel from the session input section.
The dual port USB interface allows for two computers to be connected simultaneously, enabling back-to-back DJ sets without interruption. The USB port is class compliant for Mac OS X, while high-performance ASIO drivers will run on most Windows DAW and DJ software. Each port supports 10 playback and 14 record channels, letting you record all four decks, the submix, session input, and the main mix.
The ergonomic design features an effortless layout for professional performance playback and offers classic-spun aluminum knob caps, 16-segment level peak-hold meters, and back-lit push switches. The rugged chassis is made from 1.22 mm thick, cold-rolled steel with an aluminum-zinc alloy that is rust resistant. A Lexan overlay is used in lieu of silkscreen printing, which not only provides a matte surface to prevent glare and enhance readability in low light, but also prevents wear which would eventually make the printing unreadable. The MP2015 ships with a power cord.
- High Resolution Audio (HRA) Playback
- The MP2015 uses premium performance Audio 4 Pro delta-sigma modulator converters by AKM that meet professional sound quality standards of recording studios. The balanced differential audio input converters deliver a 116 dB dynamic range, utilizing a built-in modified FIR architecture that minimizes group delay, allowing excellent linear phase response. The 24-bit audio output converters have the same 116 dB dynamic range and sport AKM‰۪s proprietary 24-bit digital filter for better sound quality achieving low distortion characteristics and wide dynamic range. The differential outputs eliminate the need for AC coupling capacitors further increasing performance. Input and output converters support sample rates of 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, or 96 kHz
- Studio-Quality Phono Preamps and S/PDIF for CDJs
- The Phono-CD (or any line-level source) analog input stages feature gold RCA connectors and are true studio-quality preamplifiers providing rejection from electromagnetic interference (EMI), radio frequency interference (RFI), and transient over-voltage protection against electrostatic discharge (ESD). The circuitry provides low noise, high gain-bandwidth, low harmonic distortion, fast slew rate and high output current. The phono RIAA filter accuracy measures +0.1/-0.2 dB from perfect. Included are 18 Hz high-pass infrasonic (rumble) filters with steep 18 dB/octave slopes and ultrasonic filters beginning roll-off at 50 kHz at a 12 dB/octave rate. A zero-distortion relay selects between CD and Phono operation
- For use with CDJs, bypass the D/A converters and go direct digital with S/PDIF. Regular RCA line inputs work for players without S/PDIF outputs. A switch for each input lets you choose
- Sweep Filters
- Each of the four Input channels and the Submix channel feature a three-position toggle selector-switch. Choose between LP (low-pass), HP (high-pass) or L-H (low-pass, high-pass combo). All have steep 24 dB/octave (4th-order) slopes and are sweepable
- In the LP position the Filter knob sweeps the low-pass frequency from 20 Hz to 20 kHz (CCW to CW). The 12:00 middle position is 635 Hz
- In the HP position the Filter knob sweeps the high-pass frequency from 20 Hz to 20 kHz (CCW to CW). The 12:00 middle position is 635 Hz
- In the L-H position the Filter knob sweeps either the LP or HP filter depending upon rotation direction from center. The 12:00 middle position bypasses both filters giving a flat unaffected response. Rotating the knob from fully counterclockwise to center sweeps the LP filter from 20 Hz to 18 kHz. Rotating the knob from center to fully clockwise sweeps the HP filter from 35 Hz to 20 kHz
- The single Resonance (Q) knob controls the shape of all Input and Submix filters. The range is from flat (Q=0.707) to max peaking (Q=12)
- These filters are high resolution, fast and artifact free, with all filter coefficients accurately calculated for the selected sample rate
- Channel Tone Controls
- All input channels and the Submix channel have three-band tone controls characterized by being 12 dB/octave (2nd-order) Linkwitz-Riley, full-cut filters (kill) with selectable crossover points of 150 Hz/6.0 kHz or 300 Hz/3.0 kHz. The crossover points are selected in the user control panel when connected to a computer via one of the USB ports
- Like the Sweep Filters, the Tone Control filters are accurate, high resolution, fast, and artifact free, with all filter coefficients accurately calculated for the selected sample rate
- Isolator EQ Section
- The proprietary three-band output Isolator is a steep 24 dB/octave (4th-order) phase-compensated Linkwitz-Riley design with continuously adjustable low-mid and mid-high crossover points. Like the Tone Controls, these filters are extremely accurate, high resolution, fast and artifact free, with all filter coefficients accurately calculated for the selected sample rate
- Adjustable crossovers allow the artist to match the Isolator to the music being played. Low-mid crossover is adjustable from 80 Hz to 640 Hz. Mid-high crossover is adjustable from 1 kHz to 8 kHz
- Submix Channel
- This input channel provides grouping any number of inputs for easy multi-source mixing; allowing one set of controls for all functions verses having to deal with multiple knobs and buttons on multiple channels.
- The submix combines 1 to 4 channels plus the Session Input into a Submix, thereby controlling multiple tracks with one set of EQ, Filter, and volume controls. Quickly assign or un-assign any Input to the Submix, which has its own meter, headphone Cue, and USB record output. An external effects unit can be mixed in, and assigned to the Submix or the Main Mix. The Submix can also be used as a 5th input channel from the Session Input
- Class Compliant Dual USB Ports
- Dual USB ports provide simultaneous connection of two computers, enabling back-to-back sets between laptop DJs running different software without compromise or interruption
- The USB ports are 100% class compliant, allowing hook-up to any Mac OS X device without the need for an additional driver
- The included high-performance ASIO driver runs most Windows DAW and DJ software
- MIDI end points are class compliant with both OS X and Windows devices